Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I walked three miles with Ghandi
along the silk road that runs
so respendantly around the city's shopping center.
Like the pictures in my history book He had a face
like a library, stilt-legs
and eyes shaped like peach nuts.

I asked him, just because he was there,
and I was there, and I had already bought my
falafel, wheat-bread and soy milk:

what do you think
a soft, blond person can
offer? I cannot braid or weave in
bright tapestries of beads, mud, or twine, or
jump and dance as the gymnast.My body
is made for sitting, my mouth for humming
my eyes for staring at a screen
my hands for picking up some socks or possibly
brewing a nice, radiant vat of Maccaroni.

My mind; too— I cannot remember a word
that my Great-Gradmother spoke. I cannot think
like a haiku poem; the words in between
are my crutches. What then, can I offer;
Me? With my silver-white hairs
and freckles and dish-red hands?

Ghandi turned then, and I smelled the sweet
scent of peaches. He waited for me, and I
walked up beside him. He placed a
liquid palm on the nape of my neck.
The round glass goggles hid his eyes. With his voice
full of dates, honey, and camel fur, he said:

Jehovah, with his golden limbs,
and his fire-blue eyes; his linen
face and hair like the black lamb's skin;
Jehovah himself, (for God's sake)
though he taught on the salt lakes of Abyssinia
and will one day stand on the tip of Megiddo

Even He, addressing those
with wide blue stripes at their hems;
claimed nothing more than that his fingers
were strong enough to divide bread and fish,
His eyes good to see those who touched his garments.

And his body, Ghandi said, was lean like
a scholar's and wanderer's (then, glancing at his own
railroad track of ribs)
A body of flesh and blood, and breakable bone
and stretchable sinew. It could stand no more than
six hours of hanging. Six hours, and no more.

7 Comments:

Blogger Putz said...

no surf girl, this is the fellow you helped so immediately on your "flying blog" a 66 year old mormon who could not understand politics, but now thaat i know you through your poem and that you are a friend to the "Mahatma" and also so near all that troubles me in the middle east, i understand you and i bt you are also devoted to those three beautiful children, i just gave a high priest lesson on the atonment and want my character to be higher than just ignoble

2:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lol thanks, Barlow...
I'm not really from Afghanistan. Just thought I'd make sure to say that... it's kind of a joke/protection thing. Maybe I should change it to Canada or something. :) I've always admired Ghandi's philosophies, and their crossover into King's. But I've still got a ton to learn, that's for sure. we all do.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Putz said...

just wanted to say one more thing...makes no dif if you live near the middle east or in india, where the great walk to the sea for salt occured or in america's south where king was taken; you seem to have sensitivity for the history of it, and i can't understand why more mormons can't appreciate like you do that box of war that was opened that mark twain and john denver talked about

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I left the following note on my blog "Provo/Orem Energy Source" in response to your comment you left...

I'm glad for your interest in strawbale building. I will leave a comment on one of your blogs to make sure you get this response. I'm in the middle of talking with county zoning and building officals. I haven't broached the subject of strawbale yet, but plan to. As I understand it, if you have an licensed engineer (in UT) sign off on the plans, the building department won't have any problems with it.

Most of my efforts over the last year have been in getting a cohousing group together here in the valley. If you are not familiar with cohousing communitys, they consist of privately owned homes, with (usually)commonly owned land and some common facilities. We have at least one family in our group who is set on building with straw bales, adobe floors, etc and I would love to do so as well. We have a strong agricultural bent as well as the green building mindset. Please check out our groups website for more info if your interested. www.utahvalleycommons.com

My contact info is included on the site if you'd like to contact me directly, or if you're not interested in the group, but just want more info on straw bale building.

-Matt Whiting

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just took a look at your other blog and think the strawbale info would have fit better there, but I could help but think it appropriate for a poem about Ghandi. Your writing is beautiful, thanks for sharing it through your blog.

-Matt

12:46 PM  
Blogger merrilykaroly said...

I absolutely loved this work. I don't know if I'm supposed to call it a poem or not. But I loved it. Very beautiful and inspiring! Did a dream inspire it?

I loved the last stanza. Couldn't Christ's body have lasted longer if He had wanted it to, though? Didn't He only give up when He had completed the atonement? Got me thinking...

9:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes... the last stanza doesn't make me happy yet. I think there's more... but I still haven't had any lightning hit my brain on what to add yet.

I like the poem, too... I like thinking of Christ as a figure that nobody knows really, and yet everyone knows, at the same time... and the though of oneself as "not good enough" shouldn't hold us back from dong what's right. :)

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home